Thursday, October 8, 2009

Extra Sewing Tips

Narelle said that "she would liked to have seen how the finish looked on the back of the binding" that I previously posted about.....well Narelle here it is;
This is a placemat that I worked on yesterday. The first photo shows how I turn the binding over to the back and pin in place ready for hand sewing. You will see that the corner is shaped to fold a mitre;
In this case, to work quickly, I did a slip stitch around the binding...you can see in the photo that the mitre has been sewn in by slip stitching up the fold and then bringing the needle back down to continue sewing. Note that my slip stitches are "just" below the seam allowance line. If I have time, I often to do a blind hemming stitch as the stitches are almost invisible.
This photo shows the finished corner and edges.


I thought you might also like to see how I quilted this place mat...here are the evenly spaced quilting lines;
To get this result I used 0.25in Quilters Removable Tape;

I used my Quilters Ruler to create a grid across the placemat and, as I went I stuck a piece of tape down alongside the rulers edge. Note how I have extended the tape beyond the edges;


then; I lifted the extended pieces of tape, turned them over to the back and stuck them down to hold the top, the wadding and the backing together......

I marked each tape with an arrow to indicate where I needed to sew to keep the even grid, then used my walking foot and sewed close to each tape edge from top to bottom....

You're finished....just peel all the tape off.....save it because you can use it a few more times. I wrap mine around a glass bottle.

Now isn't that an easy way to quilt a small item....no pins, no basting...just careful "sticking"!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial!! Learned a lot! :o)
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  2. No basting yea ,love your thinking ,spray baste has become my best friend but for a small item I will try your tap method .Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to give that a try - I love that tape for hand quilting, never tried it for machine quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you are just too cool!! Right down to having the bottle to save tape for another time....my kind of thinkin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judith--I see you have another tutorial today--BUT I have to tell you that I tried the end and beginning the binding from your tutorial on Sept 29th post on two projects and it is "awesome" thank you thank you--I told all about you and the tutorial on my post for today--have a reallly great day---hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Judith, excellent tutorial, every day we learn a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great learning for me. Many Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Judith! Thank you sweetheart... I'm going to have to get me some of that magical tape!!!

    Love and hugs, Vikki xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Christmas freebie is just wonderfull, I have nearly finished the stitching and I am over the moon with joy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Judith, Many thanks for showing me how the back of your beautiful binding is done. I am hoping to do something small first to try the binding. Many thanks again.
    Hugs
    Narelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial it helps A lot.your xmas freeby is great I havent had time to start yet A lot of things going on with the family at the moment.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad I found your blog - thanks for sharing! Love this trick with the tape... perfecty straight and evenly spaced out quilting lines!!!! Thanks b/c I plan to do some cross hatching on my Crayola Challenge Quilt.

    and the tip of wrapping it onto a glass bottle -thanks! :) I wouldn't' have thought of that either!

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this great idea I can now quilt my Xmas tablemats much easier and I also liked the o\idea of the bottle for saving the tape.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you!!! This will be a great help :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so grateful that you posted this tutorial, dear Judith. I've wanted to make placemats but felt they might be out of my reach. Now I'll will give it a go!
    Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails