Monday, March 1, 2010

Opening Mail and A Sewing Tip

The mail has arrived with some delightful things that I have been waiting for; so I thought I would share them with your.
My latest "must have" book is once again from The Book Depository and is; 'The Cozies (2)' which is published by the Guild of Master Craftsman Publications Ltd.

For the creation of this book, competitions were held by the UK 'Knitting Magazine' asking readers to design and make cozies especially for publication and this is their second book.
Wow...what talent exists out there..I am in love with these cozies and can see myself sitting by the fire during our upcoming winter with needles and yarn in hand;
Black and White......soooo classy!


A Garden one....and oh so magical;


Strawberries...yes please!


Cupcake will always be a favourite.

THEN.....there was my parcel from Winterwood.....oh my; I love this dreamy pure wool felt; I am building up my collection of colours in this gorgeous felt and am "itching" to create something with them.....got any suggestions????


NOW.....I was once again sewing my current 'leftover challenge' project for the publication in the Handmade magazine later in the year and I thought....wonder if you all know about this little trick I use when sewing close to buttons and beads......??? Probably not so here it is;



Place a thin piece of cardboard over the beads or buttons just before you approach them with the sewing foot on the machine. I just use whatever cardboard is at hand....this is a piece off my favourite coffee box, 'Nescafe Cafe Menu' Hazelnut Latte...yum;

Leave a gap big enough for the needle to sew through. Hold the cardboard firmly to allow the foot to climb onto it and continue sewing as normal:


The foot will slide along the cardboard like a skateboard sliding on concrete and the buttons or beads won't suffer any damage or jamm the foot;



There you are.....no stress!
Hope you are all having a nice Monday.....would love to hear what you are up to...opening interesting mail perhaps ???

17 comments:

  1. Love the book Judith and thanks for the great tip !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tip! Thanks! Love the wool too! I'm starting to collect bits of wool every now and again. I only have a few colors but I look forward to making something with it one day. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thanks so much for the tip. I am forever getting my foot caught on buttons etc. Will try this tip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the look of that book - I made a tea cozy once and I don't even own a teapot, it was for a contest. I love it but gave it to my mum.
    That's a great sewing tip - that's going in the keeper file!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great tip and my vanilla latte box will now come in handy, thanks a lot. Love those felt colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely book Judith. Love the tip with the sewing project too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent tip Judith....sometimes we take for granted that others know what we know....thanks so much for sharing!!!....I must say, I do like the Strawberries and Cream teapot....drool!!!
    Sugary hugs :O) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic tip... so simple... thank you..
    Caths Blog
    Cath Ü

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a FANTASTIC TIP! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so thrilled to have another tip in my toolbox. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous sewing tip, Judith! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great book. And love the tip. Will be using that one. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judith thank you so much for the sewing tip...I have found myself in a position where it was an "ut-oh" moment on how to get around those beads and this will help very much. The wool is delicious and I too love wool and just made a pincushion for a friend. Your book looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always learning things when I come to your blog thankyou...... Fabulous tea cosy's I cant wait to see one finished.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the sewing tip...It's a really good one!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun you will have with that fabric, and thankyou for the sewing tip. I will remember that one, Also love the tip about starting a stitchery, i use it all the time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. opps I posted too early. I adore tea cosies and that book is just fantastic, you will have a lot of fun with those.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails